Monday, May 2, 2011

Carved in Bone by Jefferson Bass



Genre: Suspense
Distributor: Harper
Length: 352
Rating: PG 13, but only because there’s dead body gore, realistic, graphic gore.
Starring: Bill Brockton, Al, Waylon, Thomas, Jim, Miranda, and many more.
Theme: Dead men do tell tales
Comments: This was another freebie from Kindle, and again I'm a good audience and the marketing worked. I will definitely buy the next in the series (and probably all of them). I liked it that much. At the end of the year, if I only have nine in my top ten, then this one will go on it. I really enjoyed this book, didn’t want to put it down. It’s about the Body Farm and solving crimes based on what the corpse tells you. The main character, Bill Brockton , is still grieving his wife’s passing. Good. I like loyal men. An interesting corpse comes his way… actually Bill has to go out of his way to retrieve the corpse. Exellent. There’s a backwoodsy town. Oh, and the characters. Jefferson Bass nailed story and characters, which is why he’ll probably be in my top ten. He peels away (literally) the clues. I had three problems with the book. One, townspeople who too freely told him their secrets (Waylon and cockfighting; Jim and the ‘sang). Two, not enough motive for the hero to go after the bad guy at the end. I like that he went, but I don't want him to be stupid. Give more of a ticking bomb element and I'll love you. Three, an unnecessary reference to alternate lifestyles. The first one I’m thinking will improve with time. The second one, too. The third one I’m still wondering about since it did nothing for the plot. I guessed who the killer was, almost (if you read lots of suspense you’ll find that if there’s a religious bend in the story than there’s a religious bad guy - sigh). Oh, and few too many people died. I did not want the sheriff to die. The fact that this comment is long tells you how engaged I was with the story. So, good job, author.

No comments:

Post a Comment